Ductwork is an integral part of your heating and cooling system because it delivers the air into your home. While ductwork has a long lifespan, usually 30 years or more, it can suffer from wear and tear just as any other part of your HVAC system may. One of the best ways to keep faulty ductwork from affecting your home, comfort and monthly energy costs is by scheduling professional duct sealing in Brazoria, TX. Switzerland Air has helped multiple customers repair and seal their ductwork, and we can help you, too.
What Is Duct Sealing?
Ductwork can develop holes and cracks, and the sections that connect to each other can disconnect. All of these openings can lead to significant air loss in your system, which can affect your monthly energy costs. When a technician seals your ducts, he/she will do the following:
- Holes and cracks – holes and cracks in your ductwork are sealed by using an adhesive called mastic, coupled with professional-grade foil or fiberglass tape. Using a brush, the technician will apply the mastic to the area that needs sealing; he/she will then place a piece of tape over the mastic, and allow the mastic to harden, creating a permanent seal.
- Disconnections – to reattach sections and bind them correctly, the technician will brush the connecting ends of ductwork with mastic, wrap the connection with metal binding and secure the binding with sheet metal screws. The mastic will harden into a permanent seal.
Benefits of Duct Sealing
There are several important benefits to duct sealing:
- Increased energy efficiency – faulty ductwork can account for up to 30% of your total air loss. This kind of air loss forces your AC to work harder in order to compensate for the lost cooling. By sealing the ducts, you eliminate the holes and cracks through which the air is leaking.
- Increased indoor air quality – holes and cracks in your ductwork allow particles and fumes directly into your air flow. This can decrease the quality of your indoor air.
- Even cooling (and heating) – faulty ductwork can create uneven cooling throughout your home. Repairing the holes, cracks and disconnections restores the air flow, allowing for better cooling and heating.
Faulty ductwork can cost you money in monthly bills and compromise your comfort at the same time. By scheduling professional duct sealing in Brazoria, TX, you can eliminate these problems and have a properly-working duct system. Call Switzerland Air today and schedule an appointment with one of our specialists.